Pages

21 August 2012

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

In an effort to spend more time with my little darlings in the mornings before work, I decided to try this new thing where I actually get out of bed when my alarm goes off - as opposed to snoozing for half an hour. It's actually not been that bad and I've even had time to put make-up on. Win-win.

Day 1 went swimmingly! My family and I ate breakfast together. Everyone was in a happy mood. Both my babies happily kissed me goodbye as I left for work. Success!

I was pretty convinced that I'd stumbled on the perfect balance.

And then I got to Day 2. Today.

It started out as well as Day 1. After my shower was complete, I retrieved our little girl from her crib and inserted her into bed beside Daddy to watch a "moo" (a Treehouse show - she is fascinated by The Octonauts) and went back to my morning hygiene routine.

However, this morning her attention span for said show was about 4 minutes long. Before I had time to finish my routine she was yelling to me "All done! All done Mommy!" And I couldn't say no to her little face. She was down and in the bathroom wreaking toddler havoc in no time! Between peeping in on her father as he showered and trying to grab my uber-hot curling iron, the morning routine was disrupted. Sigh. So, I employed my new favourite distraction, "Wanna go see your brother?" Big smile on her face, "Yesh!" And off we went. "How about you crawl into bed with him and snuggle?" Big smile, "Yesh!" And I dumped her in his bed and went back to business. This bought me the perfect amount of time to finish my routine, get dressed and situate myself downstairs to apply my make-up.

Fast-forward to make-up and breakfast completion and we're at the point where I needed to get my shit together and get on the road! Of course, both my little darlings wanted to "help" me and I - not thinking it through - facilitated their coming out with me. The Hubbs and I were switching vehicles for the day so I needed to shuffle around some important things between the vehicles. Without any thought, I let each kid sit in one of the front seats of Hubbs's car as I went out to mine to make the switch. When I got back and announced, "Ok, Mommy needs to go to work now. Let's go inside and see Daddy!" I was not met with the enthusiasm and cooperation my thoughtless mind had anticipated. Instead, protests and tears ensued and all hell broke loose.

Hubbs and I teamed-up, yet again, each grabbing a child from their respective seats and took them into the house. They cried and yelled at us and Hubbs looked at me with the what were you thinking look and I gave him the I wasn't thinking and I'm sorry look. I tried to calm the kids down, tried to offer up something that would excite them for the end of the day but nothing worked. Not only did I take them from their "happy place" but I was leaving them when they wanted their mommy most. Bad Mommy!

I had to leave, regardless, so with an apologetic look on my face, I kissed each member of my family and exited through the garage door.

Will I ever learn...? Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment