Pages

28 September 2012

Tests, Appointments and Peeing - In no particular order

I've been waiting all week for an incident to occur that I deemed funny enough to share on my blog. But then I entered into a conversation with Hubbs this morning; in which I used the words, "I will not live my life full of imaginary constraints!" (not a verbatim quote, my words are rarely phrased so aptly at the moment these days). And it hit me that this idea also extends to my blog.

So, although many funny little things happened throughout this entire week with our two wonderful children, it's been a relatively smoothly-run week.

What hasn't been running smoothly is this pregnancy.

Ay yi yi!

One of the many reasons I had decided not to have any more babies - regardless of my emotional desire to have 4 - is because I was IGT (impaired glucose tolerance) when pregnant with our daughter. My mom had gestational diabetes when pregnant with me, I waited until my 30's to begin having children, I'm still overweight despite countless diets and hours and hours of willing the fat to go away - these all translate into a significantly increased risk of my having gestational diabetes in future pregnancies.

And, as luck would have it, it happened this time.

With my daughter, I was able to manage my blood sugar levels completely with diet and exercise. With this one, not so much. I'm currently taking one shot of insulin before bed trying to figure out how much insulin my body needs to get my fasting glucose in the morning under 5.2 mmol. Right now it's staying strong in the 6's.

Good times.

The first insulin shot was interesting. I'll caveat this with the fact that I have four nieces and nephews that have juvenile diabetes - fully insulin dependant. I've been watching them test their blood sugars, watch their diets and inject themselves with insulin for years now. Of course, by virtue of their experience, I am a diabetes expert. ;)

Nonetheless, having to give myself the first shot took some courage.

I sat in a comfy leather chair wearing nothing but a bra and underwear (don't get a visual), taking deep breaths, insulin pen at the ready, Hubbs standing, watching me for "moral support" as I psyched myself into injecting the needle. When I finally had the courage and I put the needle in I felt really dumb - I didn't feel a thing! I feel more every time I have to prick my finger to check my blood.

The insulin pens are awesome!!! The needle is short and super thin and glides in steadily without any pain whatsoever.

Nonetheless, I still had to psych myself up to inject myself again last night. I felt silly the whole time! Hubbs started spouting off academics -- the human body has natural defence mechanisms that bladdy blah blah (he's so well-read, sometimes it's painful ;)) -- and I inserted the needle.

All that said, once the insulin hits the body, it definitely feels weird. Not painful, but uncomfortable. I don't like it. Luckily it's short-lived.

On top of this and the peeing and the constantly feeling as though this baby is partially inside my bladder and partially trying to dig her way out of my southern region...the appointments are killing me!

I respect and appreciate the fact that the Canadian healthcare system is designed to provide optimal care in certain areas (other areas are lacking, and care does vary from region to region...federalism...grumble grumble) but I'm a working woman. I don't have time for weekly appointments to the lab, ultrasounds, OBGYN and now Endocrinologists. Yeesh! The sheer amount of time that I need to run out for appointments is stressing me out!

Would I want the pendulum to swing the other way? Absolutely not. But I like a happy-medium.

Why in this day and age can't we do more care electronically, I don't understand. I keep a spreadsheet of my blood glucose levels, the food I eat, ketone results and insulin units...why can't I email said spreadsheet to the clinics and they can call me in if - and only if - medically necessary?

Well I know why, our healthcare system isn't designed for this, docs have to physically see patients to get paid for their work. Awesome. And so very progressive. /eyeroll

Sigh...some day I'll rule the world and it'll all be better....

In the meantime...I have to run to the ladies room and pee for the 20th time this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment